Tuesday, September 23, 2008

light

my backyard at twilight

i'm sitting in my backyard. the sun is starting to set, but it's still light outside. it was an overcast day, so the glow of the evening isn't as golden as it is blueish-grey. everything seems kind of dim. the sun is fully out of view, but there is still a bit of sunlight glinting off of the pool. the whole thing takes about 30 minutes, where it goes from being light outside to becoming almost totally dark. crevices and cracks are the first to go, as the details fade out, and the underbrush becomes invisible, and black. the finely tuned details that are so alive in the light, like a single leaf on a limb, become "erased" by the darkness. the grey twilight is a bit of a let down, as i was hoping for some purples and oranges and such, but for now it will do.


the dentist office

i hate the dentists office anyways. the drilling and the scraping and the unnecessary amount of time you have to say "aaaahhhhhhhh." add the lights and its doubly as bad. i'm laying in the office chair. overhead are typical ceiling flourescents. four of them in my room alone, with four bulbs in each. thats already 16 bright blue bulbs burning my pupils. on the far side of the ceiling, opposite the door, there is a row of decorative lighting, with six extensions, each encasing what seems to be normal, 60 watt lightbulbs. behind me overhead are two more built-in-ceiling lights. ? thats twelve lights. in one room. ridiculous. but then, it gets worse. to add insult to injury, they pull that terrible big mobile light down right over my face and turn it on, searing my corneas. i can literally feel my rods and cones going crazy.

the lighting is so heavy and saturated, that there is literally nothing you can't see. it makes me feel overexposed. the sterility of the room is heightened, and normally matte surfaces become reflective. it's so strange.


my room at night

it's 11pm, and i'm sitting in my room. i have one light on, which is a blue, 40 watt bulb in a floor lamp. the light is angled towards the ceiling. my door is cracked, and a little bit of light is coming in, thrown off from the bathroom. there is also a lit candle, flickering slightly, because there is no wind. by far, the most overt source of light is the computer screen i am currently staring at. the blue light is nice. it casts a sort of mellow green glow. the lamp it's screwed into is also home to hanging hats and purses. one hat, with a fuzzy brim, is creating some very interesting and textured patterns on the wall. another hat, a fedora, is making a shadow about twice as big as itself, and i can recognize at least five different "layers" of shadows. since the light is so low, it's effect fades drastically across the room (although my room is only about 9' in width). the light is hitting my lamp shade, and casting an angular (and still blue) shadow onto my bed. i glance at the glass of water next to my computer mouse, and catch a glimpse of the reflection of the candle behind me on the bookshelf. i also take note of the mouse now. it's got a red light coming from the bottom of it, that you can see via the clear bottom of the mouse and the reflection on the old, brown, wooden desk. looking at my mattress, there is one part in the middle, about a foot in length, that is "lit up" with light, but i can't tell what source it's coming from. it must be the cracked door. my carpet is lit up with blue, but fades fast to pure black when it comes to the underside of furniture. i hope there's no monsters under my bed, because now would be perfect timing...

1 comment:

Rocco said...

I met the monster under the bed and it looked just like George. The one from the jar of Georges at Bottega.