Monday, March 3, 2008

povey

02.25.08

having now worked for half a semester on multiple ways to create cameraless films, my interpretation of thad povey and the scratch film junkies’ film “St. Louise” was much different than before. Although I was able to recognize many of the techniques, there was plenty that still mystified me. This film contained a few elemental references, including one clearly defined CO2, which is fitting, seeing as how these films feel very “organic,” (I suppose having to do with the fact that since typically the human form is absent, and therefore the film is comprised of shapes, colors, and sounds). It seemed as though the majority of the film was made with inks, and at one point, I was intrigued by the arrows that were overlayed on top of the base inks. That was one of those times when I couldn’t help but wonder how they did that. There was another section of the film where there was green, almost bacterial looking images and, again, I wasn’t able to discern how they created it. I thought the stock footage used was an interesting choice, and perhaps not necessarily what I would have chosen to use. On the whole, the film was great eye candy, I thought the song choice was superb, and it’s still nice to see professional films created under the same mediums as the ones I am currently learning.

No comments: